Monday, February 22, 2010

Random Not-So-Deep Thoughts

1) On the drive to work the other day I actually thought about a family vacation and thought it sounded fun. Previously the thought of a family vacation sounded like pure craziness. It felt amazing to even entertain the idea of going overnight somewhere as a family and having it be more fun than work. We'll see if we actually have the guts to give it a go.

2) I have 5 good friends who are expecting babies in June and ALL 5 are expecting boys. What are the chances of that?

3) Is it bad to put an IOU in your child's piggy bank? Our kids get money sometimes as gifts and especially when the money comes in the form of a check I don't know what to do with it since we don't have accounts in our kids names yet. So I just deposit the money into our account and write an IOU on a piece of paper and put it in their globe banks. Is that bad? I mean, I really do intend to give it to them someday when they want it.

4) I have the best brainstorms when I am having a massage. Isn't that weird? I wish I could take a notepad to my appointments with my massage therapist, but really that would pretty much ruin the whole experience if I was constantly taking notes throughout the massage. But I do get the best ideas when I'm there. Must be the total and complete relaxation.
5) It's hard to come up with Lenten disciplines that are pure sacrifice--disciplines that don't somehow, someway, in some small measure also benefit us isn't it? Not that it's all bad if these disciplines also benefit us, but for me this year, I wanted to find something(s) that were pretty much just a sacrifice without much benefit. It's difficult.
6) It takes me about a week to get over an instance of saying something stupid that I can't take back or correct. Man I hate it when that happens. Eventually I see the big picture and realize that what I said isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of life, but boy does it bug me and replay in my mind for about 7 days after it happens. Ugh!
7) A word of hope: Last year on Noah's birthday (March 6) we were out on the putting green playing golf without so much as a jacket. Just think, maybe in less than two weeks it will be that warm and snow-free here again.

4 comments:

Jewel said...

I liked this post of random thoughts! Ooh, I hope you'll get to do a family vacation real soon! We are definitely planning one before Baby arrives! Wow, I didn't know you knew 5 people who are expecting in June & all are boys. I do put all of Braylon's $$$ he gets in his piggy bank. But there are also many times where I have to "borrow" $ from his bank becuz I don't have enough cash. I know, every year I want to do something for Lent, & then feel like I've half-heartedly went thru the discipline. Actually I haven't thought of anything yet for this year. Lent just crept up on me so fast! Thanx for the word of hope that nice weather might be around the corner! I think we all need to hear that! Or at least think it to keep us going.

Terah said...

I liked the random thoughts, too! :-)

Last May with me horribly pregnant & swollen we took Amtrak to Chicago and spent the weekend there. It was a fun mini-vacation with a toddler. (We so often combine vacation with visiting family or a business trip and it gets too busy & stressful.) I think it was relaxing partly because it wasn't too far out of our comfort zone. I don't even know how many times I've been to Chicago, but it was fun to experience it (especially Navy Pier) through a 2.5-year-old's eyes!

We always deposit money given to the boys in our account. We use a software program to divide our savings into mini-accounts (car repair, medical expenses, etc) so just added accounts for the boys too. When they're older they can have their own accounts (and their money!).

John Yoder said...

I sometimes carry a small, digital recorder to capture random thoughts. For me its much easier than a piece of paper. --

Margo said...

I agree about the best ideas during massage!! I was telling my aunt about that and she thought I wasn't relaxing enough and I've been turning that over in my head ever since. But I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! I really love massage and creative inspiration!

As for the kids and money, they do have piggy banks for small stuff, but we started accounts for them because grandparents tend to give checks. Our credit union has it set up easy-peasy.