Thursday, January 31, 2013

Awe

Four years is how long it took me to finish high school. Four years is what it took me to finish college. Four years for seminary. Four years at my first pastorate. And four years is the amount of time I've spent nurturing my daugther from birth until today where she is able to walk, talk, feed herself, sing, dance, run, hit a baseball, use the toilet, sleep through the night, kick a soccer ball, tell stories, tap dance, play pretend, swim, shoot baskets, write her name, pray, clean, talk on the phone and sit on the bench at church with only her brother (becuase Jon is out of town) while I go up to lead the sharing time and prayer and behave the entire time I'm gone. I'd have to say, I can't think of more worthwhile way to spend four years.

As you may have guessed, Anna's birthday is today, and I am still in awe just like I was four years ago in this picture. I am in awe of how fast time goes. I am in awe of how much she has learned and grown in four years. I am in awe of how much my love for her grows even still. I am in awe of the girl she's growing up to be. I am in awe that there was life before Anna in the world. How can that be? And, I am in awe of how fragile and tender her life is--still, today--just as it was there in the picture.

Anna, I can't keep you from many of the harms that might befall you in this life, and I can't rope all of the good stuff and deliver it to your doorstep either so just know this: no matter what comes your way--our way--I will be there to love you, support you, hold you, and to offer you my strong and tender love just like in this picture.  And whether you're experiencing something good or bad, joyful or tragic, a success or a failure, there is a good chance that I will always look at you in awe because in loving you I do truly see the face of God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe...this post is so sweet! Happy sweet 4th Birthday, Anna!

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Anna! What a great letter to share with her someday!