Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How much more work?

My grandma always used to say that one child takes all of your time so two can't take any more of your time. Sure. I see her point but what she fails to note is that while one takes all of your time you are probably more relaxed while giving them all of your time than you are with two. Jon and I are doing just fine...I think we're adjusting quite well actually, but my goodness two kids are more work than one. Let's not kid ourselves. Maybe two don't take more time than one but two make you more tired when bedtime comes and two make every minute feel a bit more...shall we say...full than one child does. I mean, with one kid I could always remember to eat lunch. With two I've forgotten numerous times. I'm not proud of this. Actually it is not cool at all. I need to eat. I love to eat. But seriously sometimes it's supper time and I think, "Oh yea, breakfast was 9 hours ago." So anyway, Grandma was right in a way. But she also failed to flesh out her statement a bit. Two kids don't take more time than one does but two kids do leave you feeling a bit more whipped at the end of the day. Okay, nothing profound here. Nothing MANY of you didn't know already.

Well, I'm off to bed, or maybe I'll give up a few moments of sleep to just read The Mennonite or Newsweek (aka do something other than sleeping without a child in my lap). Here's to the day a few years from now when they (hopefully) can play together and I actually think to myself, "yeah, having these kids so close together is making my life easier rather than more chaotic."

But really, no complaints here. We have our health (well sort of, Noah has an ear infection and pink eye in both eyes, but it isn't anything some antibiotics won't cure). Yes, we have our health, our families, our friends, our jobs, our church, our God, and we have each other. Life is good...crazy, tiring, but good.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I remember meeting your mom for the first time at FMC. Ben was a baby and she made the comment about what your Grandma said. I remember thinking later that I just thought one child took all of my time - two kids really DO take all of my time! :) I promise the close age difference really truly does pay off eventually. I don't think either of my kids would know what to do without the other!