Sunday, December 11, 2011

Mommy's Bike Ride

On October 9, 2011 I took a motorcycle ride. The ride was a gift to me--something purchased at our church's auction to help fund our youth's trip to MCUSA convention this past summer. It was hilarious how it all happened. At the auction several people were bidding on the ride, but eventually the bidding was over and one couple owned the ride. But that wasn't the end of it.

As soon as the ticket for the item was in his hand, the man who bought it stood up and said, "This is for Mandy!" And then he walked over and plopped the ticked on the table in front of me. It was hilarious and totally unexpected. I was touched, excited, and terrified.

One summer as a chaplain in a level 1 trauma center teaches you really quickly that when bikers fall or are in an accident, they don't do well. But, I also thought it sounded really fun. Jon knew that I was apprehensive, but he also knows me better than anyone else in the world, and he was really honestly worried that I might like the riding experience so much that I would come home wanting a motorcycle for my birthday.

Well, scheduling issues pushed our ride into the autumn months, but eventually we set a date, and it was FANTASTIC. The feeling of freedom, the clarity with which I could see everything (nothing blocked by a roof or windshield or doors), the feel of the wind on my face, the way the motor drowned out all thoughts so that I could just be in the present moment...aaahhhh! It was amazing!

At one point, my ride-giver, Bus, said, "I can tell you're still a bit nervous so I want you to let go completely (I had been holding on to his waist) and just put your hands on your own legs and go with it." This sounded terrifying and awesome at the same time, so I did it, and it was phenomenal.

Will I ride again soon? No. I still think bikes are relatively dangerous, and until my children don't need me so much for their everyday needs, I will stick to my #1 Safety Officer status and only travel the roads in trucks, vans, or cars with airbags, seat belts, roll bars, doors, etc.

But, am I glad I did the ride? Absolutely. It was an exhilarating experience in the moment, and it was an amazing experience to be a bit more of a risk taker than I usually am. Facing this fear and taking this risk didn't save the world, but it did something within me. And, having a great time driving around the country roads taking in the gorgeous autumn scenery while doing that was the opportunity of a lifetime. Thanks, Eldon and Sharon. This was a phenomenal experience, and a very generous gift. I am truly grateful.

Below is a picture of me before the ride with my fearless and truly kind driver, Bus. He could have scared me a lot by driving too fast or too crazily, but he took the curves slowly, looked about 300 times at each stop sign, and was generally slow and careful. Thank you, Bus, so much.


A shot I took from the bike (Look Mom, no hands!)

4 comments:

beth said...

You are rockin' those boots Mandy! Way to break out a bit.
b

Jill said...

I love everything about this story! :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Kate said...

Absolute craziness. :)

Jewel said...

Wow, amazing!