This February we slipped away for a few days and went to Boyne Mountain in Northern Michigan to spend some time as a family and to allow the kids to learn to ski. I grew up skiing, and I have always thought that I would love for them to learn, but I haven't talked about it much. But somehow they got it in their minds that they wanted to learn so we decided this was the year to seize the opportunity. Jon also needed to learn so I enrolled all three of them in ski school, and in just 2 days we were all skiing down the mountain together. It was a lot of fun, and I give them all a lot of credit (especially Jon) for being so brave and determined to learn this new skill. If anyone is reading this and wants to learn to ski, I would totally recommend Boyne. It's close, the mountain is bigger than some in the area, the ski school was great (for all ages) and they had other things to do in addition to skiing (water park, dog sled rides, ice skating etc). It was a really fun place to go close to home.
First Day of Ski School
The kids had been interested in dogsledding prior to our trip after watching the movie "Balto" and reading several books about the dogsled run that inspired the Iditarod so we also booked a dogsled ride. It was the highlight for Anna even though the dogs pooped right in front of us as they ran. Come to think of it...maybe that was why it was a highlight.
More skiing pix.
They had so much more snow up there than we did at home. It was great for those of us who love snow and winter.
At the end of the day the kids were so tired. Here Anna fell asleep right before supper. So sweet.
Fritz the dog was a neat addition to the trip. The kids loved him.
Every night at 7pm there was a story time with milk and cookies by the fireplace. So we snuggled together as a family and listened to the staff read/tell a few stories. It was a nice end to each day of family fun.
On top of the mountain together. What a feeling!!!
Eating lunch outside in our coats and hats was so fun--not something we do every day...not something we would want to do every day, but once a year...sure, that's fun.
The waterpark was where we spent every afternoon.
Swimming outside and then running in the snow was definitely a memory-maker.
Just being together was what it was all about.
No comments:
Post a Comment